Monday, June 27, 2011

Miss thirty



Hair clips: H&M
Necklace: Antiques shop
Top: Target
Skirt: HAND FREAKIN' MADE
Heels: Nine West
Toes: Rescue Beauty Lounge Dead Calm



Everyone meet my 30th item in my 30 for 30! I feel like I could have gone with 29 items the whole way through, but I wanted to include a 30th because that's kind of the idea, isn't it? Today's outfit, by the way, is inspired by the Shah's flag of Iran. Book discussion tonight was of Persepolis, and it went really well! Thank you all for your graphic novel feedback earlier this month :)



After seeing this skirt on Pinterest, I died. And then I undied and vowed to make one for myself. Leanne's tutorial is exceptionally easy to follow and the most annoying parts for me were sewing together my lace (I couldn't find double sided lace! So I made my own) and installing the zipper. Man, zippers are annoying. Oh, and there was all the stabbing myself with pins, because I'm terrible at that kind of thing. being coordinated. But this is the first item of clothing I've ever made (not including sweet things like necklaces made of ribbon tied around my neck) and it was worth it. No pain no gain, right? I love it.



My dad said "huh, that's different" and my mom said "it's so cute!" This is my parents, ladies and gents. Fortunately my boss was appropriately blindsided that I made this skirt myself, "like, from fabric???", especially since I do not wave the flag about my sewing skills very often. I usually stick to shapeless things, like pillowcases and necklaces made of ribbon tied around my neck. And that one time I made a bracelt made of ribbon tied around my wrist. That was HARD. have you ever tried tying a bow with one hand? No thank you. That's why I need a boyfriend. Right?

naaaaaaaaaaaah

3 comments:

  1. I'm back home, back in the blogosphere and finally getting to check out what you have for thirty-fot-thirty so far. BEAUTIFUL PICTURES! The outfits have been lovely and I love how you've chosen such interesting backgrounds that play off of the outfits themselves. So cool.

    That skirt is great!! I sew, as well, but I don't usually have the patience to make my own clothes for everyday use...I always think that someday I'll have a whole wardrobe of me-made items. Anyway, NICE WORK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt is so AWESOME! You did a fantastic job on it! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabella, first--welcome back! And thank you so, so much. Sometimes I come up with an outfit with a background in mind and other times I drive to a location hoping things look right, but it's all come together well so far! I usually only have the time to sew stuff like curtains but I really love sewing and have always meant to make some of my own clothing. I think this skirt has been an excellent foray into clothing!

    Cathy--thank you thank you! Yesterday I was trying to have a conversation with my boss and she kept trailing off, then apologising and saying "I'm sorry, I just can't believe you made that". It was hilarious and more importantly it was flattering ;)

    ReplyDelete