Thursday, July 28, 2011

On thrifting



Cardigan: JCPenney
Top: Old Navy
Skirt: thrifted
Wedges: Target



You can probably tell by now that I don't thrift much. It's nothing personal, like I think I'm too good for it or something--goodness knows I'm not--but it's generally very hard for me to find things that a) I like and b) fit. Just like clothes shopping in regular stores! But at least with stores like Gap, Anthro and Target, I have honed an instinct or how their clothes are cut and what will fit me well. Random brands from 20 years ago? Not so much. I have some friends, online and off, who are thriftmasters, but I've just never been able to make clothing work, perhaps because when I was younger all the cool clothes weren't my size and didn't fit me the right way. I do however thrift the daylights out of furniture--I refinish and reupholster chairs and tables with my copious free time and thrift stores are AMAZING for finding well made furniture for very inexpensive.



But that doesn't mean I won't try, especially now that I'm unwilling to try to fit into clothing that isn't my size. My mom recently wanted to know where our city's Salvation Army was, so I took her there, hoping to walk out with a chair or two but instead leaving with two skirts and a scarf. That's so rare for me, though maybe it's because I never really looked before. The next day my mom went to the local Goodwill and bought them out of the skirts in my size. The skirt I'm wearing today is one of them. My only complaint is that it is 100% polyester and as such I did nearly slide out of my chair at work a few times. It was hilarious, I swear!

Anyway, the point is that I'm not the best thrifter in the world and probably never will be. But I won't refuse to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment