Monday, June 23, 2014

SIA: PSA



Luggage Barcode Sunset No. 4, by Douglas Coupland
Acrylic on canvas, 2012

To explain my absence over the last couple of weeks--I was rather abruptly sent to Vancouver for work! It was quite unexpected but I'm very lucky I had this opportunity, both professionally and personally--I've had a passport for the last five years but wasn't expecting to use it before I had to renew it, and my being picked to go to Vancouver, of the 200 people in our system, was a huge honour. I had training every day from 9-4, but my evenings were free, so one evening I rode the AirTrain into Vancouver proper from my hotel in Richmond and hiked down to the ocean. I walked by the Vancouver Art Gallery, which I desperately wished was open, but it closed at 5 everyday. The gallery was showing an exhibition on Douglas Coupland, an artist and prolific author from Vancouver, and Coupland has installed artwork all over the city. I sadly didn't see any while I was in Vancouver, but I wanted to highlight Coupland, so I found Luggage Barcode Sunset No. 4 for SIA this week! Send me your photos by Monday, June 30th (!!!!!) and I'll post the roundup that night. I can't wait to see how you all interpret this one! Plenty of pattern to play with.

Bonus: here's a photo of a real Vancouver sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment