Monday, October 29, 2012

At the edge of the end of the world









Necklace: JCPenney | Sweater: JCPenney | Skirt: Talbots | Tights: Target | Heels: Urban Outfitters

I have a tendency to stockpile best friends. I know some really amazing, incredible women (and men!), and I can't pick just one. I mean, if I had to pick a maid of honor, I'd do it, but the rest of them would be bridesmaids. They're all important to me for very different reasons, and it's like comparing apples to oranges to peaches to broccoli to radishes. All amazing, all revered, all different.

Two of my best friends, Q. and A., are from my hometown. We spent a vast majority of our formative years together, and to this day we talk and text and send pictures and whatever all the time, though we're very far apart. Today, however, they're within miles of each other and they're both dealing with a very difficult situation that may change the places where they live--and the place where I grew up--permanently. Although Q. was able to evacuate inland, A. and her parents chose to ride out Sandy in their house. Thanks to strategic planning when her parents designed their house, they are situated atop a manmade hill that has thus far protected them as the bay swelled to nine feet above normal levels. Q. is just hoping their flat roof doesn't collapse.

I don't believe in god and I don't pray, but tonight I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed for two of the greatest people I know. Seeing photos of your hometown decimated by a natural disaster is never fun, but it's worse when you know the people on the other side of those pictures. It's no longer an article on Buzzfeed or a slideshow on the Weather Channel's website. It's the people and places I love. So cross your fingers for them too, okay? They can't see you do it since they've both lost power, and you live all over the world, but they'll still appreciate it. and so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment